[flac-dev] FLAC__BYTES_PER_WORD==8 test results

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Thu Dec 31 00:00:03 PST 2015

Brian Willoughby wrote:

> What's wrong with something incredible simple, like:
>
> #define FLAC__BYTES_PER_WORD (sizeof(int))

The fact that it actually is not correct. We want to determine
the size in bits of the CPU registers.

Here's what I know:

                      sizeof(int)     sizeof (long)
   32 bit Linux   |       4        |       4
   64 bit Linux   |       4        |       8
   32 bit windows |       4        |       4
   64 bit windows |       4        |       4

Note that sizeof(long) on 64 bit windows is 4!

Most other unixen follow the LP64 scheme used by Linux.

Erik