[flac-dev] about word size in bitreader/bitwriter

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Sun Dec 20 00:50:21 PST 2015

lvqcl wrote:

> Does it make sense to restore the ability to use FLAC__BYTES_PER_WORD == 8?
> (Honestly, I'm not sure that it ever worked previously...

I'm actually pretty sure that it never worked.

> and I'm not sure that
> this change can improve libFLAC performance).

I'll take your word on that.

> Or is it better to change the comment that implies that it's possible?

The think in and ideal world we would a:

* Make it work correctly FLAC__BYTES_PER_WORD == 8 and compare the performance
  with FLAC__BYTES_PER_WORD == 4.
* If there is an statistically measurable performance, keep it, otherwise
  remove the FLAC__BYTES_PER_WORD == 8 code all together.

Since you seem to think there little to be gainned, maybe its better to
just remove the FLAC__BYTES_PER_WORD == 8 code now.

Erik