[flac-dev] "keep qlp coeff precision such that only 32-bit math is required"

lvqcl lvqcl.mail at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 09:45:11 PDT 2015

Martijn van Beurden wrote:

> Or maybe the question is: why is this code in evaluate_lpc_subframe anyway,
> i.e, why is this code duplicated? If process_subframe_ sets the
> qlp_precision for evaluate_lpc_subframe, why should the latter ignore that?
>
> We can only speculate about this, but I think this code has been duplicated
> by accident, and therefore it wasn't changed as the code shouldn't have
> been there in the first place.

Well, the code in process_subframe_() calculates MAX value of qlp_coeff_precision,
while the code in evaluate_lpc_subframe_() adjusts CURRENT qlp_coeff_precision.

It's possible to move the logic from evaluate_lpc_subframe_() into
process_subframe_(), see the attached patch, but I'm not sure that the
code becomes much clearer after it.