[flac-dev] Patch to add buffering to decoding too

Janne Hyvärinen cse at sci.fi
Fri Sep 26 23:59:53 PDT 2014

On 27.9.2014 8:54, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Janne Hyvärinen wrote:
>
>> Removed buffer size increase. Only tells the filesize to Windows now.
> Would it not be possible to do the same when encoding? Of course we
> don't know the exact size of the output file, but guessing at 70% of
> 80% of the input file size would be correct in most cases? Are there
> any negative consequences of overestimating like this?

Estimating the size too large while other processes are writing to the
drive at the same time would leave a gap behind the file. My fear was
that writing thousands of files one after another, and many of them
leaving these empty spaces, would eventually cause the drive to be
sparsely filled resulting in all further large file writes to being
spread all around the drive.
Underestimating a little would of course not cause this.