[flac-dev] Disk fragmentation

Declan Kelly flac-dev at groov.ie
Tue Sep 23 08:58:49 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 06:42:16PM +0300, cse at sci.fi wrote:

> I don't know how big issue this is in *nix environments but added
> buffering would definitely be a nice change for the Windows frontend.

It depends on the file system being used. With almost every Linux
distro, you can choose which FS to use at install time. Most of them
have solved most of the problems of fragmentation, at the OS level.

Whereas NTFS seems to actually make the problem worse, by allocating
blocks in ways that make fragmentation a bigger problem.

What I have done for testing that involves lots of files, is create a
partition just for the test files, and reformat it each time.
If it's small enough, it could be formatted as FAT for added speed.

--
-Dec.
---