[flac-dev] Retuning compression levels

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 12:53:52 PDT 2014

> And I also suggested to consider a different setting for -7 preset:
> -7 == -l 12 -b 4096 -m -r 6 -A tukey(0.5);partial_tukey(2)
> see <http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=106545&view=findpost&p=871797>
>
> But it will decrease decoding speed for this preset.

Yes, that is another thing to consider. My proposal keeps the
decoding speed for all presets the same, but I don't think there
is a problem in shifting things a little bit more. The above
setting would make the decoding of -7 as CPU-intensive as -8 is
now. Seeing that all FLAC-capable hardware that I know of has
been decoding -8 without problems for years, there's probably no
harm done with changing this too.

Any thoughts?