[flac-dev] Retuning compression levels

Declan Kelly flac-dev at groov.ie
Mon Sep 22 06:36:42 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 06:39:43PM +1000, mle+la at mega-nerd.com wrote:

> Martijn van Beurden wrote:
>
> > I dropped -e because
> > it's compression improvement isn't worth the slowdown, but it is
> > easy for the user to add this anyway.
>
> I think we should keep -e but may print a warning. The reason to keep it
> is so that we do not break some random flac frontend that has this as
> an option.

I think what Martijn meant was that -e is no longer part of the numbered
preset levels, not that the -e option is being deprecated.

Any deprecated options should of course print a warning instead of
causing an error, because of so many frontends and home-brew scripts
that could be still passing them to the command line.

--
-Dec.
---