[flac-dev] Retuning compression levels

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 14:52:01 PDT 2014

As I haven't heard any complaints concerning the proposal for
retuning compression levels which I posted a few months ago,
here's the patch that enables them, with the change proposed by
lvqcl.

This patch changes the settings associated with compression
levels 6, 7 and 8. With this patch, -e is no longer used, but
instead apodization functions are added. This should improve
compression with at least 95% of all material. Independent tests
show that this is probably the case.

The encoding speed should stay about the same, however, 6 is
slowed considerably, positioned between compression levels 5 and
7. This was done because level 6 was so close to level 5 that it
wasn't really worth using. Decoding-wise, 6 and 8 stay the same,
and 7 is slowed a bit, which makes it as fast as 8.