[flac-dev] lossless compression's limit : 53% ?

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 02:41:32 PDT 2014

op 25-03-14 10:01, Nouvelle Collection schreef:
> What is nowadays lossless compression's limit (tested on a
> large library of music samples, because of course, it depends
> on the music we do the tests on)

I did the comparison that's on xiph.org/flac/comparison.html. I
can assure you, that's pretty much as good as it gets with
current codecs. OptimFROG has filters for quite a lot of special
cases, but still it can't compress much better than it does now,
so I guess we're pretty much at the limit of what is possible.

For a more comprehensive review of obscure codecs, take a look
here: http://www.squeezechart.com/audio.html As you can see, the
smallest file takes 1200 times longer to encode than FLAC's
slowest setting, but improves only 6%. As you can see, that
codec was made in 2007, so there has been no improvement in the
last few years, and I don't expect any until quantum computing
algorithms are developed :P