[flac-dev] Lets work towards a new version

Richard Ash richard at audacityteam.org
Thu Jun 19 13:27:12 PDT 2014

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 15:41:21 +1000
Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la at mega-nerd.com> wrote:

> lvqcl wrote:
>
> > 1)
> > Current MSVC solution (FLAC.sln and numerous .vcproj files) was
> > made with VC2005 Express and doesn't allow to build 64-bit
> > files/libraries.
> >
> > IMHO it's time to add 64-bit support for MSVC builds, but AFAIK
> > only Visual Studio 2012/2013 Express are free and allow to build
> > 64-bit files.
> >
> > VS 2005/2008 use .vcproj files, and VS 2010/2012/2013 use .vcxproj
> > and .vcxproj.filters files, so it's possible to have two sets of
> > MSVS solution files: one for 2005/2008 and another for
> > 2010/2012/2013.
> >
> > But there will be two .sln files: current FLAC.sln and new
> > FLAC-vs2013.sln (or FLAC-vs201x.sln? or is it better to rename
> > FLAC.sln to FLAC-vs2005.sln?)
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think having 64 bit builds on Windows would be a good thing.
[...]
> As for what versions of MSVC we should support, I am not really
> qualified to say. What do other similar projects do? Eg Audacity?
Audacity is still only building 32-bit windows binaries, and officially
with Visual Studio 2008 at the moment (for XP support amongst other
things at the last release).

However we are moving towards VS2012 being the "official" windows tool
chain, and some people are already using it for development. This
probably won't happen for the next release, but might for the one
after, and I think needs to ahead of updating wxWidgets from 2.8 to 3.0
(which is probably on a similar time scale).

Richard