[flac-dev] PPC asm is disabled since Jan 2005

lvqcl lvqcl.mail at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 15:16:16 PDT 2014

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

>> I suspect that PPC/Altivec asm code is disabled for good.
>
> I agree.

Does it make sense to keep this code, then? Nobody managed to fix this
when it was timely, and now PPC (at least PPC for desktop use) is a
legacy platform.

2) Also I suspect that 3dnow is useless for 99.999% of FLAC users.
And not so useful for the rest 0.001%.

3) A lot of code in cpu.c that detects OS SSE support is inside unused
branches of #ifdef/#else/#endif. USE_TRY_CATCH_FLAVOR was defined in
Jan 2009, and USE_OBSOLETE_SIGCONTEXT_FLAVOR was undef'ed in Mar 2007.

Is it a good idea to remove all that code, or it's too early yet?