[flac-dev] PPC asm is disabled since Jan 2005

lvqcl lvqcl.mail at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 14:00:49 PDT 2014

lvqcl wrrote:

> ...more about PPC ASM:
> http://git.xiph.org/?p=flac.git;a=commitdiff;h=63d489ae3140296419afdfc4cfc87cc2c7cb9faf
> Does it mean that PowerPC/Altivec asm optimizations were disabled almost 10 years ago?

Found the cause:

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac-dev/2005-January/001696.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/flac-dev@xiph.org/msg00104.html

"Back in October 2004, I did a bit of work on FLAC to get version 1.1.1 to
build correctly under GNU/Linux/PPC. Only now have I realised that somewhere
along the way something broke in FLAC's decoding. On my machine, roughly 50%
of FLAC files are being decoded incorrectly" -- John Steele Scott

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac-dev/2005-January/001718.html

"since it is going to take me a while to sort this out, and since
we need to get a release out to fix the sonames problem, I have
disabled PPC asm functions for now and will get back to it after
the release.  the static binaries I make for the darwin binary
release will have them though, because it's easy for me to
compile the right one" -- Josh Coalson

I suspect that PPC/Altivec asm code is disabled for good.