[flac-dev] "Compression failed" message

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Fri Jan 31 23:06:50 PST 2014

lvqcl wrote:

> Sure. But maybe it makes sense to write "WARNING" instead of an "ERROR"?

Well its an ERROR because the flac executable will exit with a non-zero
exit code, so this condition can be caught in for example a shell script.

If its only a warning, why would the executable return non-zero?

> Or to compare compress ratio with 1.01 (or 1.05 or 1.1) instead of 1.0?

As soon as the output file is the same size of bigger than the input,
the encoding process is no longer providing compression. I think checking
against 1.0 is in fact the correct behaviour.

There is a --no-error-on-compression-fail command line option. Its documented
in the HTML docs I've just added it to the --help output.

Erik