[flac-dev] Exact FLAC subset constraints

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 02:12:28 PST 2014

On 19-01-14 09:43, Барт Гопник wrote:
> If answer on any of these questions is "yes", documentation on the
> website should be updated (fixed)!

No one here knows for sure, as Josh won't probably be listening
to answer these questions, so I guess most of us are actually
relying on the documentation that should be fixed. Anyway, the
documentation lvqcl found indicated that the answer to your
first two questions is in fact 'yes'.

I don't know why your third question is the most 'interesting',
because as far as I know the website states nowhere that
variable blocksize streams are not subset. It's simply not
mentioned anywhere. However, be aware that the FLAC reference
encoder always produces streams with fixed-size blocks, so most
3rd-party (hardware) implementations, even the FLAC reference
decoder, hasn't been tested with those variable blocksize
streams. Therefore, it needs a bit of thought and testing to
implement this. Probably that's the reason that the flake
encoder says variable blocksizes are non-subset while as far as
I know they technically aren't.

So I think the answer to the third question is yes, but please
proceed with caution.