[flac-dev] Windows linking problems

Brendan Bolles brendan at fnordware.com
Thu Jan 9 10:33:45 PST 2014

On Jan 9, 2014, at 6:52 AM, lvqcl wrote:

> "Multi-threaded DLL" runtime library means dynamic linking: a program requires
> msvcr80.dll/msvcr90.dll/.../msvcr120.dll to work. Often this means that
> a MS Visual C++ 20YY redistributable package must be installed into user's system.

I've never actually had any problems that stemmed from using the the DLL (dynamic linking) version.  Granted, I'm writing plug-ins, so the host has usually taken care of that.

I'm not saying it must be changed, but I think it's worth pointing out that Multi-threaded DLL is the default used by Visual Studio and probably what most projects are using, including libogg as you know.  You say to change the Ogg projects to match FLAC, but then people would have to change all their other projects to match as well.  Seems like FLAC is the odd man out here.

Anyway, up to you.  Just one of those standard problems you run across as a programmer trying to use code from a variety of sources.  Sorry it stumped me long enough to bug you guys.

One thing I think you guys really should do, however, is add x64 targets to the .vcproj file.  I don't think x64 can use the .nasm files you've got, so the x64 targets aren't as simple as just copying settings from Win32.

Brendan