[flac-dev] Why Rice order in "--best" switch is limited to 6?

Барт Гопник bart.gopnik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 23:19:15 PST 2014

No, FFMPEG uses its own FLAC encoder/decoder, based on Flake source
code, that based on FLAC reference encoder/decoder source code.

Yes, I agree that "optimal"? values for reference encoder/decoder may
differ "optimal"? values for FFMPEG's encoder/decoder.

But we're talking about the "highest reasonable" values, not "optimal".

Yes, using "-p" and "-A" or more than one "-A" (up to 32) switches is
really unreasonable, because using them very greatly increase the
encoding time. But I did some tests and found that using "-r 8"
instead of "-r 6" NOT greatly increase the encoding time (one of my
tests: 24 sec instead of 18 sec for 10 min input on my machine).
Increasing value of Rice order is not exhaustive, and increasing
encoding time is predictable. IMHO 33% (for calculation sample of 100
tracks was used) is not critical for "best" compression preset. People
use "best" preset and expect to get "best"/"highest" results. It is
basis of encode/decode time asymmetry! People who want to get
"optimal" ("quality"/speed compromise) use default
"--compression-level-5" or "--compression-level-7".

Finally, I suggest to increase Rice order parameter in "--best"
("--compression-level-8") preset from 6 to 8. (I'm not suggest to
increase Rice order in "--compression-level-7",
"--compression-level-6", etc.