[flac-dev] Parts of the standard not supported in reference decoder?

MauritsVB mauritsvb at xs4all.nl
Fri Dec 12 05:25:27 PST 2014

I am working on creating a set of FLAC files for a ‘decoder compliance test corpus’ and am looking for examples of things that are part of the standard but not supported in the reference decoder. I am not looking for things missing from the reference encoder (such as variable block sizes).

I seem to recall someone on this list (most likely lvqcl or Martijn van Beurden) mentioning something about a standard-compliant potential improvement to compression that can’t be pursued at this point because the reference decoder doesn’t support it.

Any idea what that was? Any other ideas about what might be missing from the decoder despite being described in the standard?

Maurits