[flac-dev] Two new CVEs against FLAC

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 07:50:24 PST 2014

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 11:12:25AM +0100, Martijn van Beurden wrote:
> > >
> > > I think I might have a fix [...]
>
> So the problem is that FLAC__stream_decoder_process_single returns
> error before it finds a valid frame?

I'm not sure whether we mean the same thing, but I think the problem is
that seek_to_absolute_sample_ calls FLAC__stream_decoder_process_single,
which calls read_frame_, which calls read_subframe_, which calls either
read_subframe_fixed_ or read_subframe_lpc_, which call
read_residual_partitioned_rice_. The return false set there is propagated
all the way down.

So, because the decoding of the frame is aborted upon finding a situation
in which a heap overflow might be in order (but which will usually just be
a bogus header), the decoder considers the seeking proces failed.

This is only a problem with seeking and not with normal decoding, because
in a valid stream, the decoder doesn't have to look for a header (so it
doesn't have the chance to run into a fake one) because the next header is
always right after the previously decoded frame.

> > Another solution might be to 'just try again' somewhere else
> > when seeking fails, but maybe there are good reasons not to do
> > so? The decoder might get stuck in a loop?
>
> I think that would be a reasonable solution.
>
> In one iteration of the root-finding algorithm, don't give up when
> decoding fails, but try also a limited number of different positions
> (say 10) dividing the interval between the lower and upper bound
> evenly. Does that make sense?

Yes, I think it does.