[flac-dev] About unused/obsolete asm code

lvqcl lvqcl.mail at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 12:01:14 PDT 2013

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Maybe its time to either improve or remove that code.

I posted a patch that adds SSE2/SSSE3 versions of precompute_partition_info_sums_().
I didn't remove the old code; just changed "#if defined ..." to "#if defined ... && 0".

Currently there are two useless asm files:
* bitreader_asm.nasm (defines FLAC__bitreader_read_rice_signed_block_asm_ia32_bswap)
* stream_encoder_asm.nasm (defines precompute_partition_info_sums_32bit_asm_ia32_)
and I doubt that they will become useful again.

BTW, after removing bitreader_asm.nasm from build it will be possible to remove
local_bitreader_read_rice_signed_block from struct FLAC__StreamDecoderPrivate
and call FLAC__bitreader_read_rice_signed_block() directly (IOW, revert the patch
http://git.xiph.org/?p=flac.git;a=commit;h=ddddff6a5604da5c7223a075e58ca532d7ad375d ).
Or to make bitreader_read_from_client_() function static again (it was static before
http://git.xiph.org/?p=flac.git;a=commit;h=c63cf41cccba25a268f235e83ed8603adc0ac3ec ).