[flac-dev] Bug fix and compatibility patches for 1.3.0pre4

Janne Hyvärinen cse at sci.fi
Sun May 5 21:42:34 PDT 2013

On 6.5.2013 0:43, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:
> Janne Hyvärinen wrote:
>> You people do realize these hacks would only be required for 10+ year
>> old obsolete compilers?
> No, they're required for easy distribution on 12 year old OSes (which,
> last I saw, make up almost 40% of Firefox's desktop userbase, and likely
> will continue to for some time).

What kind of nonsense is this? You should know that the last Microsoft
compiler to create dynamically linked code that used msvcrt.dll was
Visual Studio 6.0 from 1998.

Oldest Visual Studio supported by FLAC 1.3 is Visual Studio 2005. FLAC
is also configured to be compiled with static linking, so no external
dependencies hinder its function.

If you take a look at the following MSDN pages for Visual Studio 2005,
you will see that _fseeki64 and _ftelli64 are supported all the way back
to Windows 95:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/75yw9bf3%28v=vs.80%29.aspx and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/0ys3hc0b%28v=vs.80%29.aspx