[flac-dev] Bug fix and compatibility patches for 1.3.0pre4

JonY 10walls at gmail.com
Sat May 4 18:22:56 PDT 2013

On 5/5/2013 09:03, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:
> Robert Kausch wrote:
>> The _lseeki64 patch probably is a little more controversial. The problem
>> is that fseeki64 and ftelli64 are not available in Windows XP - at least
>> not without installing extra MSVC runtime libraries. I changed compat.h
>> and replaced them with calls to _lseeki64, which was available at least
>> back to Windows 98 and thus doesn't impose such compatibility issues.
>
> _lseeki64 operates on the underlying file handle, and does not interact
> well with the buffering in stdio streams. I _think_ you can use this
> successfully if you call fflush() beforehand (as this sets FILE::_cnt to
> 0 and FILE::_ptr to FILE::_base). By which I mean I read the MSVCRT
> source from MSVC6.0 and it appears this is how things work.

How about just forgetting about base XP and require at least SP2 or some
such? Alternatively, use win32api underneath instead, eg
CreateFileW/SetFilePointer.

> That source also includes an fseeki64()/ftelli64(), but they are not
> defined in stdio.h. I wonder if just declaring it yourself is good
> enough? If not, they get called by fsetpos()/fgetpos() (which _do_
> interact correctly with the buffering in stdio streams), except when
> _MAC is defined (which I presume is not common). I don't actually have
> XP to test against.

Bad, do no declare manually, I had to cleanup some bad code recently
that make assumptions about your header declarations. You can try using
GetModuleHandle/GetProcAddress instead, but msvcr* versions are a whole
different can of worms.