[flac-dev] Higher compression modes from Flake

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Sat Mar 16 01:25:41 PDT 2013

On Mar 14, 2013, at 13:24, Declan Kelly wrote:
> I want the tightest possible compression, while remaining 100%
> compatible with the subset that all known FLAC decoders can
> successfully
> stream or play now in cars, Hi-Fi units, "MP3 players" and cell
> phones.
> The out and out most widely supported lossless audio format could (and
> should) have a better "bang for the buck" to the average user (who has
> possibly been tempted away from MP3 or WMV or some Apple format).

I have a vague recollection that going beyond -4 is incompatible with
certain hardware players. Sorry I don't have a reference for this,
but it seems like even -8 or --best are not 100% compatible with all
decoders. Going beyond that to -9 or even -12 seems like it would be
far less than 100% compatible.

Of course, the logical approach is to look into why these decoders
can only handle some FLAC encodings, and work within those restrictions.

> I buy a lot of music on Bandcamp (and similar sites) and usually get
> smaller files (for long term storage) when recompressing (flac -8).
> A common sentiment I have seen online is "my CPU time is too
> valuable to
> bother with maximum compression", but that ignores the fact that
> all of
> the copies made of those files are going to add up to something
> bigger.

I buy nearly everything in FLAC. I do not re-compress, and as far as
I know there is no easy way to determine how the originals were
compressed. Download speeds are faster, and I figure that my backups
are already small enough using the original FLAC that I don't need to
experiment with re-compressing in the hopes of getting the files even
smaller.

For original recordings, I use --best, but I'm not concerned with
direct playback on all devices. If I have a problem with playback,
I'd probably decode and re-encode. Also, my original recordings are
raw and unmastered, so I rarely listen to them without mixing and
processing. I then compress the mastered audio (for CD or HD audio)
using FLAC again, as a backup of the final product. Again, I use --
best and --no-padding because it's convenient, but I wouldn't mind
learning a better default command line.

Brian