[flac-dev] 2GB limit?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Mon Mar 11 20:31:17 PDT 2013

Marcus Johnson wrote:

> Has the 2/4GB limit been fixed?

There are at least three 2/4G issues:

 a) Encoding flac from WAV/AIFF files which are more than 4G in size
    (and hence mal-formed according to the WAV/AIFF spec). Fixed and
    documented using the --ignore-chunks-sizes flac command line option.

 b) Encoding from stdin and generating a > 2Gig flac output file. This
    is only a problem on Windows and there is a good chance this will
    be fixed in this release. We're working on it.

 c) Two functions in an obscure part of the C API use an off_t return
    value. On Windows, off_t is only 32 bits. This is unlikely to
    be fixed as it requires an API change and I would not like to add
    an API change this late in the release cycle. It will be fixed for
    the next release.

If anyone knows of any other 2/4 Gig issues not mentioned here, they
should let me know.

Erik