[flac-dev] Version numbers, copyrights and release dates

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 14:21:23 PDT 2013

Hi all,

Not to be pedantic, but as these were not updated for the pre-releases
(probably because they're not that important or because they were
forgotten?), there are a few things that need to be updated in case of a
release.
- src/libFLAC/format.c has a 'release date' added to the vendor string
on line 52. There's a hardcoded 1.2.1 version number on line 50 as well.
That's the 'vendor string' that's added to every FLAC file encoded with
libFLAC, so it's probably important
- The AUTHORS file hasn't been updated (except for adding years to the
copyright notice) since January 2005
- Copyright notices in general (which appear all over the project, see
for example
https://git.xiph.org/?p=flac.git;a=commitdiff;h=e74bd9516cf01689a367836c10fa4bc77c194ce5)
haven't been updated

Copyright notices on the website haven't been updated either, because I
wasn't really sure what to do. Something like "Copyright (C)
2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009  Josh Coalson, 2012, 2013
Xiph.org Foundation" would conform to the current practice, but can't it
be shortened to "Copyright (C) 2001-2009 Josh Coalson, 2012-2013
Xiph.org Foundation"? It feels just like a waste of space now.

If this stuff was already on someone's TODO list or some release
checklist, sorry for wasting your time, I just wanted to be sure. :)