[flac-dev] 2GB limit patch

nu774 honeycomb77 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 03:31:51 PST 2013

(2013/03/06 17:43), Brian Willoughby wrote:

> That's an awful "solution" waiting for errors to be introduced into
> what might otherwise be valid files.
>
> There is no way for a RIFF/WAVE to exceed 4 GB because all chunks
> must be enclosed within a global chunk, which is limited to a 32-bit
> size.

Yeah, but something like --ignore-chunk-sizes is necessary for piped
input anyway.

I think people should be more or less accustomed to such option.
LAME, Nero, opusenc... every popular encoder has such switch (usually
named as --ignorelength).
It might be an abuse of --ignore-chunk-sizes to use it not only for
piped input but also for reading HUGE wave files, but it can be (and has
been) used by people that way.
Why care about it now?