[flac-dev] 2GB limit patch

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 00:56:56 PST 2013

On 06-03-13 09:43, Brian Willoughby wrote:
> There is no way for a RIFF/WAVE to exceed 4 GB because all chunks must
> be enclosed within a global chunk, which is limited to a 32-bit size.

I agree it's ugly, but if you take a look at the FLAC bug tracker or the
thread on HydrogenAudio that has been discussed, you'll see that it's
requested a lot, supporting files > 4GB. Apparently no one knew about
--ignore-chunk-sizes, because it was not documented, but FLAC already
'supports' it. It displays a warning when you use the option to be
'cautious'.

W64 etc. would be much better options, but adoption is still limited AFAIK.