[flac-dev] Converting audio samples

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 11:58:41 PDT 2013

On 19-07-13 17:57, Brendan Bolles wrote:
> If I'm converting to 8-bit, that has a range of -128 to 127, right?  Do I multiply my float input by 127 or 128?

Depends on what you want to do, the range of values used in the float
input etc. You have to take care of dithering too. I'd use a tool like
SoX because there are some very knowledgable people who thought it over.

If you want to learn how, what or why, this list is definitely not the
right place. Try hydrogenaudio.org, there might be a few people there
able to answer your question.