[flac-dev] exhaustive-model-search issue results in multi-gigabyte FLAC file

Leigh Dyer leigh at bandcamp.com
Tue Jul 16 03:32:14 PDT 2013

On 16/07/13 8:10 PM, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Leigh Dyer wrote:
>
>> Certainly -- I've uploaded the analysis files for both the -6 and -7
>> encodes, in case you wanted to compare:
>>
>> http://wootangent.net/~lsd/blah/6.ana
>> http://wootangent.net/~lsd/blah/7.ana
>>
>> The encode seems to proceed normally until 59% of the way through the
>> file, but then it takes a couple of minutes to proceed through to 61% of
>> the way through -- it's during this period that the file inflates up to
>> 9GB in size. The last 39% or so of the encode proceeds normally, too.
>
> What happens if you top and tail the file from say 57% to 64% of
> the file and try an encode that?

The first time I tried, the resulting file encoded just fine, but after
trying a few more times, cutting at slightly different points, I was
able to get a snippet of that section that exhibits the problem. This is
short enough that I think I can link to it here:

http://wootangent.net/~lsd/blah/snippet6.wav

This results in a 4.1GB file when encoded with -7.

Thanks
Leigh