[flac-dev] Tag flac as flac 1.2.1_git

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Wed Jan 16 23:10:03 PST 2013

Martijn van Beurden wrote:

> Well, the only change in format that might be merged before the next
> release that I know of is the definition of the mapping of 7- and
> 8-channel audio. As these were previously unmapped, this would qualify
> to be a minor format change, as previous decoders won't decode 1.3.x
> files properly (as they don't map channels for 7 and 8 channel audio)

Err, this thread got away from me when I wasn't looking.

My understanding is that the recent changes for 7 and 8 channels was
a documentation change only. Before this change the layout of 7 and
8 channel files was undefined. After the change 7 and 8 channel files
were specified as:

    7 channels: front left, front right, front center, LFE, back center,
                side left, side right
    8 channels: front left, front right, front center, LFE, back left,
                back right, side left, side right

There were no code changes to the FLAC library or tools.

Erik