[flac-dev] Tag flac as flac 1.2.1_git

Martijn van Beurden mvanb1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 14:28:22 PST 2013

On 12-01-13 22:46, Brian Willoughby wrote:
> I would suggest that everyone keep in mind the vast installed base of
> hardware FLAC recorders and players, and not senselessly make them
> obsolete without extremely compelling reasons.

This can be done for the same reason the change from 1.1 to 1.2 added a
new form of residue coding: I don't believe there are many 7 or 8
channel FLAC-players out there (just like there were not much 24-bit
FLAC decoding devices out there when 1.2 came out). We still are at a
point we can still make those changes.

Josh made a decision at some point to map audio channels instead of
storing the order in metadata. I think it was a sound decision because
the channel order is known without the need for that piece of metadata,
for example in case of streaming. It would be silly to keep this
behaviour on currently defined channels and do something else on 7 and 8
channel audio.

We might try to find out how current 7.1 hardware decoders behave with
regard to channel mapping.