[flac-dev] /usr/include/FLAC no longer searched for headers

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Wed Jan 2 10:59:32 PST 2013

Miroslav Lichvar wrote:

> I've received a bugreport that vlc doesn't compile with the current
> flac. The problem seems to be that it includes "stream_decoder.h"
> instead of "FLAC/stream_decoder.h". This no longer works due to the
> commit b76d4f (it was discussed on this list).
>
> I'm not sure how many clients are relying on the directory to be
> searched by default, but I think it might be worth mentioning in the
> changelog.

Thats weird, the flac source tree in git doesn't seem to have a
changelog file. Instead its on the flac-website tree.

Just to re-iterate, this change was made because FLAC installs
a file name $prefix/FLAC/alloc.h and then if the client code
uses

     gcc -I$prefix/FLAC ...,

then the flac alloc.h gets included in preference to the system
alloc.h.

After this change, the correct way to include flac headers in
C and C++ files is:

     #include <FLAC/stream_decoder.h>

or

     #include "FLAC/stream_decoder.h"

Not sure how to handle this. The changelog.html file on the web site
should only be updated when the relase happens. Where do we keep
changelog entries before the release?

Erik