[flac-dev] Commonly getting FLAC__STREAM_ENCODER_VERIFY_MISMATCH_IN_AUDIO_DATA on valid audio

Collin collin at gobbler.com
Thu Feb 7 14:07:11 PST 2013

I'm using libflac on Windows to compress some audio samples. I'm building the
library locally, using Visual Studio 2010. Each set of data is 2-5 MB and well
formed PCM encoded data. I'm finding some very odd behavior.

If I enable verify on the encode stream, I get a verify mismatch on most of my
sample sets. Each set of samples returns this error at a different location in
the stream, but always the same location for the same file.

However, if I disable verify, the resulting FLAC encoded data DOES decode
correctly in most cases, giving me an exact replica of the input.

In the other cases, one of the frames decodes into wrong data. I have not seen
more than one frame for a given set of data decode incorrectly; the frames
before and after it are correct. Sometimes the bad frame is partially correct,
or has many bytes that are close to the original. The bad frame's data is always
the same, no matter how many times I try to re-encode the original file.

I've tried encoding and decoding these files with the FLAC command line tool,
and it has no problems, so I think there might be an issue with my libflac
binaries.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem, or are there any known issues that
could explain this?