[flac-dev] Predicting the loss of data from flacs to mp3

Ivailo Karamanolev ivailo91 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 14:40:16 PDT 2012

Hi,

Predicting loss of data when encoding mp3 is more suitable for an mp3
discussion forum instead of a lossless format one. A pointer - it isn't
possible. It heavily depends on the encoder, compression quality and
specific settings. No one will be able to give you a definite answer, as
the psychoacoustic model is a complex thing. The best thing you can do is
encode the data in mp3 and then compare it. If you really need to predict
it - transients ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_(acoustics) ) are
the most difficult to encode with mp3.

Regards,
Ivailo Karamanolev