[flac-dev] Predicting the loss of data from flacs to mp3

Ajay Mandlekar ajay.mandlekar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 13:28:19 PDT 2012

Hello,

My partner and I are both high school students who are working on a
device that encrypts secret messages into sound files. The method that
we are using involves the conversion of data into an mp3 format, and
this results in a loss of data that is crucial to the success of the
device. We would like to be able to predict which points are going to
be modified significantly or lost completely when we write our data as
an mp3. Could you help us?

We were able to achieve success with .flac files (since they're a
lossless audio format), but with mp3 files, were unable to recover the
secret message since the mp3 compression altered the data points. We
were thinking that if we could know which points (in the time domain)
would be adversely affected, we could avoid encrypting in those points. Any
clarification on how .mp3 files compress data would be very helpful.
Thank you!