[flac-dev] uncompressed FLAC

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Fri Mar 9 08:42:30 PST 2012

Declan Kelly <flac-dev at groov.ie> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 08, 2012 at 09:50:20AM -0800, giles at thaumas.net wrote:
>> I wouldn't worry about it though. It's unfortunate the dbPowerAmp
>> developers want to take advantage of the subset of customer who don't
>> understand what 'lossless' means.
>
> I read some of the articles on www.audiostream.com earlier, and some of
> those linked from it. I can't understand the "uncompressed is better
> than lossless" notion either. At least with CD playback, a CD-R copy is
> going to be more prone to jitter (and added gaps from poorly configured
> rip/burn software) which does affect the sound, but comparing FLAC and
> WAV on exactly the same hardware should yield no difference in audio.
>
> On systems where the I/O is the bottleneck (for example, a smartphone
> app or hardware player with slow storage) there can be a higher risk
> of buffer underruns with uncompressed source material. And with a low
> powered CPU, there should be more of a risk of underruns with tighter
> compression ratios. This could explain why some audiophiles have heard
> better results with looser FLAC compression on the same device. But on
> modern (and reasonably powered) hardware, there should be no practical
> difference at all.

What I read was that most contributors accept
that FLAC is bit perfect.  It is easy to propose
mechanisms to explain why people hear
differences.  (The most obvious one is that
there are no differences to hear.  Another is
that the extra computation load on the
processor places noise onto the power rails,
affecting the D/A convertors.)  However,
without proper double blind testing, there is
little point.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org