[flac-dev] uncompressed FLAC

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Thu Mar 8 09:50:20 PST 2012

On 8 March 2012 06:15, Martin Kos <martin at kos.li> wrote:

> i have seen that the dbPowerAmp ripping and encoding software supports a
> new so-called "FLAC uncompressed" format

I expect this is just encoding every block as 'SUBFRAME_VERBATIM'. I'm
not aware of a switch on the normal flac encoder to do this, but it
would be straightforward to add. This feature already exists in the
format because there are occassional input blocks where the
compression algorithm produces larger output than the input, so it's
better just to store the equivalent data untransformed. File
compression tools like gzip have a similar mode.

I wouldn't worry about it though. It's unfortunate the dbPowerAmp
developers want to take advantage of the subset of customer who don't
understand what 'lossless' means.

 -r