[flac-dev] Next generation WebM and FLAC

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Tue Jun 19 10:18:51 PDT 2012

On 12-06-19 10:08 AM, James Haigh wrote:

> I have proposed to WebM to use FLAC in a future version. Since FLAC was
> designed a decade ago, I was wondering if there were any new compression
> techniques that FLAC could use in a new version to improve compression
> ratios.

The short answer is yes, but for it to be work promoting a new standard,
you really want to do *significantly* better than flac, like lossless at
half the file size. That's a lot harder than an extra 10% or 20%
compression. A great research project, in other words, but I think we'd
do better to concentrate resources on improving support for the existing
flac format which is very widely adopted.

 -r