[flac-dev] implementing flac on an embedded device

Voit, Florian florian.voit at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Thu Feb 9 06:50:26 PST 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on project trying to send sensor data from a
microcontroller over radio to another device.

I need compression because the radio has not enough bandwidth to send it
without.

Because the sensor data quiet much resembles audio data I got the best
compression results using lossless audio codecs instead of data
compression algorithms like Lempel-Ziv.

I won't have an OS on the microprocessor so  I'll have to get the
streaming encoder to work 'bare metal'. The situation will be that the
senor will constantly deliver samples which will be stored in a buffer.
The buffer should then be compressed and sent.

Here is my question:

Do you think it is possible to use FLAC compression in this use-case? Is
it possible to customize the codec to my needs without having to rewrite
the whole thing?

It would help very much to know if this approach is reasonable or if its
better to choose a completely different approach.

Best regards,

Florian