[flac-dev] FLAC Mathematical Details

Justin Ruggles justin.ruggles at gmx.com
Wed Feb 8 13:22:39 PST 2012

On 02/08/2012 01:06 PM, Ralph Giles wrote:

> On 8 February 2012 10:00, Justin Ruggles <justin.ruggles at gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> 0.5% to 1.0% on average. That's with a fairly simple algorithm.
>
> Not very worthwhile. I imagine it's possible to do quite a bit more on
> some files, but it would be pretty expensive to find the boundaries...

Yes, it likely can do better, and yes it can be quite expensive. IIRC
(it was several years ago) the algorithm I used in Flake is just a
simple threshold comparison of the sum of 2nd order LPC residual on
equally-divided pieces of the input block to decide whether or not to
merge adjacent pieces. But something better could be done using smaller
pieces, trellis search, and/or a more accurate cost function.

-Justin