[flac-dev] The FLAC website

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Dec 27 03:37:32 PST 2012

Hi Erik,

On 27.12.2012, at 12:28, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> Max Horn wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> The important bits are others, and  they need comments and actions
>> by Erik and Rich.
>
> Ralph maybe?

Yes, my mistake, sorry!

> My current understanding is that we intend to keep the web site
> on flac.sf.net and have a mirror on xiph.org/flac.

Either is fine, just somebody has to do it, and apparently Ralph is the one with the access rights to do it. Ralph, if you need any assistance or further information for this, I am happy to help.

> On flac.sf.net, we probably don't have SSI,

We do, actually, see

  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Project%20web

and more specifically

  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Project%20web%20and%20developer%20web%20platform

Moreover, there is also PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby and Tcl.

> so that's a vote for
> a static site. I am however all in favor of whatever can be done
> to make updating and maintenance of the site easier.

Sure. This is a relatively simple website, and I'd prefer to follow the KISS principle there.

Supposing we do go with static website generator: Do you have a preference for a language that generator should be written in? In the sense that it should ideally be something you are ideally familiar. The primary choices are Python and Ruby, but Perl and (to a much lesser extent) shell script are also options.

Cheers,
Max