[flac-dev] Information about the 8 channels

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Dec 13 11:18:37 PST 2012

This post came to me in a digest but, for some
reason, it didn't make it into the archive.

"Yves Salmant" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm very interested to know how are framed 8 different channels (not 5.1)
> in
> the FLAC format.

Don't know what you mean by "framed".  The
order of the eight or fewer channels is chosen
by the FLAC encoder.

> Could you please explain this point and also if it is
> possible to extend the 8 channels to N channels as expressed in the FLAC
> Website (using Ogg container) ? How do you use Ogg and FLAC together in
> this
> purpose ?

A single FLAC stream can contain up to eight
channels.  When this single stream is placed
into its own native container, the result is called
Native FLAC.  When a FLAC stream is placed
into an Ogg container, the result is called Ogg
FLAC.

An Ogg container can contain any number of
streams, including multiple FLAC streams.
Each FLAC stream can contain a maximum of
eight channels.

> Can the 8 channels be easily decoded in a web browser (as Google
> Chrome) ?

Sorry, no idea.

> Many thanks for your answers

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org