[flac-dev] Flac HiRes decoding problems

Jaren Stangret sirjaren at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 10:09:01 PST 2012

As I understand, pipes use PIPE_BUF and that buffer varies from system to
system.  For example on my linux box:
[BASH] ulimit -a:  pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
Which is 4096 bytes.

You can also look in /usr/include/linux/limits.h:
#define PIPE_BUF        4096    /* # bytes in atomic write to a pipe */

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+la at mega-nerd.com>wrote:

> Klaus Schulz wrote:
>
> > HireRez flac > 16/48    e.g. 24/96 flacs.
> >
> > Decoding demands are somewhat different from 44/16 especially if a high
> > compression level on 24/96  is used and the file gets decoded in
> realtime.
> >
> > The subject is probably about realtime decoding efficiency. It's probably
> > not that easy to trace this down.
>
> FLAC can be easily decode on very modest hardware.
>
> > The flac application is used as a realtime decoder to stdout (pipe) in a
> > typical Squeezebox server setup.
>
> Ok, this is suspicious. Can you reproduce the problem when not using
> a pipe? For instance, pipes usually have a fixed 4k buffer size and
> writes to a full pipe with block until the other end of the pipe is
> read. To test this, you could reduce the size and increase if frequency
> of reads on the read end of the pipe.
>
> Erik
> --

Jaren Stangret