[flac-dev] remove src/libFLAC/ia32 permanently?

Cristian Rodríguez crrodriguez at opensuse.org
Thu Apr 12 18:32:11 PDT 2012

Hi:

In my opinion, we should axe all pure asm implementations in
src/libFLAC/ia32 and the relevant configure options.

Reasons are simple:

- modern compilers plus the use of intrisincs make the code as faster
   as possible, if you need maximum speed I suggest you to build with
profiling enabled. ;)

- there is no support for x86_64 (that is.. all modern PC ;-) ) or for
arm (most modern phones and media players)

- AFAIK, those assembler optimizations may be even slower than the C
code or buggy.

Thoughts ?

Cheers!