[Flac-dev] A-law and mu-law

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon Nov 21 05:01:20 PST 2011

On Nov 19, 2011, at 16:42, Giulio Paci wrote:
> So the problem would be suboptimal compression due to suboptimal
> assumption about the input signal, right?

The problem is more that FLAC should not be a collection of code to
read every possible file format in existence.  That would be a
duplication of at least two other audio file format conversion
utilities, and quite bug ridden, at best.  Instead, FLAC supports the
two major lossless file formats plus totally raw data (no container
or formatting besides the raw samples).  Between those three options
you have everything you really need for lossless audio compression.

The only totally new file format that would make sense as an addition
is CAF, and only because it allows larger files and is also lossless.

> What I do not understand is how the format of a FLAC format would be
> affected by supporting A-law and mu-law files as input (and thus
> output). Despite of suboptimal performance, is it possible to treat
> 8bit
> *-law samples as 8bit linear PCM files and write down the original
> format information in the output while decoding?

If you were to treat *-law data as 8-bit, then you would have a
couple of problems.  First of all, I don't think that FLAC supports 8-
bit.  It's really rather pointless to develop lossless compression
algorithms for 8-bit audio.  More importantly, reinterpreting *-law
as 8-bit linear PCM would introduce nonlinear distortion that would
affect the compression algorithms.  FLAC would still be lossless, but
it probably wouldn't be able to compress distorted audio as small as
clean audio.

> For my needs converting them to 16bit linear PCM is an option, but I
> will need to keep track of the original format outside the file, which
> is something that I would prefer to avoid.

I think the biggest problem here is that you have two types of sound
files or audio data in your overall collection.  All of the A-law and
mu-law files are not up to the same lossless recording quality as an
8-bit AIFF, for example.  Trying to shoehorn two different quality
levels of recordings into the same file format doesn't really make
much sense.  You're probably better off by archiving the *-law files
with a slightly modified organization to reflect the different
quality level.

Unless conversion to 16-bit lossless audio followed by FLAC
compression shows substantial savings in space, then you're probably
better off just leaving the *-law files as they are.

Brian