[Flac-dev] Variable Bit Rate

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon May 23 11:43:30 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Dennis Brunnenmeyer
<dennisb at chronometrics.com> wrote:
> I'm well aware how compression works.

If you're going to be condescending, then it only to remains to say
that you're clearly not aware of how compression works.

> But images and document files do not
> depend on the relative timing of the data to reproduce themselves.

> They are
> in essence only two-dimensional in space, whereas the data in a sound file
> is time-dependent.

This is a complete misunderstanding.

> The question really has more to do with the decoded FLAC stream output,
> which I presume is a linear PCM file, e.g. WAV.  If FLAC is lossless and
> created from an original CBR WAV file, is is true that the decoded output is
> also CBR when played?

FLAC is a lossless compression scheme. That's it. Stop wondering, and
if you can't stop wondering, go read the papers on it.

> Thanks for any insights on this matter. I've been told that because a FLAC
> stream from a server to an application is VBR, that certain transients are
> not handled correctly, like the ringing of bells. If this were true, FLAC
> would not be lossless in this application.

your information is wrong. FLAC does not do psycho-acoustic
compression. it does not create artifacts. it is a *lossless*
compression scheme.