[Flac-dev] Variable Bit Rate

Dennis Brunnenmeyer dennisb at chronometrics.com
Mon May 23 11:41:07 PDT 2011

My question is based on temporal considerations. Given a WAV file
converted to FLAC and then decoded to WAV, is it possible for artifacts
to be introduced? I've been told that FLAC files, when played back into
a high-quality sound system, fail to properly reproduce certain kinds of
sounds, like ringing bells or the 'clang' of a triangle.

If this were the case, then FLAC would not be lossless in a dynamic
sense. As a proponent of FLAC for lossless music storage on a server,
this question is important to convincing others that FLAC accurately
reproduces the original WAV or PCM file.

Dennis...