[Flac-dev] Is there any way to tell what level the flac was encoded at?

Ivailo Karamanolev ivailo91 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 23:34:42 PDT 2011

As many people have pointed out, storing compression level is generally
meaningless, as even the reference encoder can be configured to not be on
any predefined compression level.
I see two approaches for your case:
1. Monitor the CPU usage and adjust the frequency. The possible problems
with this has been outlined fairly by Brian. Additionally, you can keep a
buffer of decoded data and increase the frequency if the buffer is getting
low.
2. Prepare a test bed with the entire range of encoding/sample parameters
(bit depth, sampling frequency, stream parameters, etc.) and build an
estimation function for the MIPS required where every parameter weights in
with a coefficient based on testing with the test bed.