[Flac-dev] Is there any way to tell what level the flac was encoded at?

hjalmar nilsson hjalmar.nilsson at naimaudio.com
Wed Mar 23 10:10:34 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm developing a flac decoder in an embedded environment. I have it fully up and running but I am trying to optimise the performance vs. the power it takes to decode the stream.

Using the reference decoder code with a few optimisations for the hw I'm on I experience quite a difference in mips depending on the level.
For instance, on a 192kHz/24 bit file the difference is almost that it takes twice as many mips on level 8 vs. level 1.

Unfortunately I can't tell our customer that they need to decode at a certain level, BUT I want to minimize the frequency the processor is running on.
Since I have no problem reading a 441/16 from a memory stick and decode it on 40 MHz, but I require almost 240 MHz on a 192/24 file, I would like to dynamically change the frequency depending on the file I'm about to decode.

Now, since you managed to plough through all this, I would really appreciate if you could answer one simple question:
Is there any way I can read out the compression level from the encoding process from the file?

Thanks in advance!
Hjalmar

This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Naim Audio E-mail Virus Protection service, powered by MessageLabs.