[Flac-dev] FLAC is dead?

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Mon Jan 10 12:54:35 PST 2011

On Jan 10, 2011, at 11:59, grarpamp wrote:
> However, about 1.5 years ago you could get a factory new SL-1200
> for $485US. Now one cannot be had for under $825. Furthermore, you
> may follow this link and attempt to find any major seller with in
> stock quantities of any model at a sane price. That would be an
> excercise in futility. Therefore, they've left the market.

That is the strangest definition of "discontinued" that I have ever
heard.  I paid over $700 for my SL-1200M3D many years ago, and $825
seems like about the right price considering inflation.  Just because
you used to be able to get a discount doesn't mean the product has
been discontinued.  The 1200 has always been expensive, and nobody
has ever considered the cheaper alternatives to be a fair
substitute.  Of course they're expensive now, because nobody else
makes a good turntable in that market.

Fortunately, FLAC is free.  It cannot be priced out of the market.

Speaking of ripping vinyl to FLAC, I would expect that a belt drive
would be better than direct drive.  Direct drive motors impart
frequency modulation into audio, where belt drive smoothes out the
pulsing of the motor.  A 1200 is great for DJ purposes, but that
doesn't make it the best for ripping.  I use the Ortofon Arkiv
cartridge for ripping, or the Gold, but I still do not have the ideal
turntable.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting