[Flac-dev] Synchronizing a streaming client to the server Was: Idea to possibly improve flac?

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Fri Jan 7 20:25:04 PST 2011

I just thought of something: Given the maximum supported network
packet size, and the minimum number of channels (probably stereo) for
a FLAC broadcast stream, it should be possible to calculate the
absolute longest time that a single network packet could span.  Once
you know that time, you could simply double it, and then make sure
the streaming client always buffers up at least that much time before
playback is started.  Voila - instant protection against starvation
due to silent frames being compressed to ultra-tiny packets with a
long delay.

Some of the comments here have talked about low latency, but I would
say that low latency has no place in an internet streaming
broadcast.  I mean, the listened have no frame of reference for
latency anyway, so what does it matter if the latency is really high?

Now that I think about it this way, I'd say that FLAC and OggFLAC
should not have any real problems due to compression of silent
frames.  Any place there is a problem should be blamed on bad
streaming client / player code, not on the format itself.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting